Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Respect Your Elders

Examples of agesim and age-based racism are prominent in our culture. We have created such a fear of growing older that younger generations are mis-guided about this natural part of life. The language we use, the pictures we show and the messages we see all turn aging into something ugly and negative. I see this everyday whether it be in commericals or normal conversation. I think that as a society we are very dis-respectful to our elders when in fact, we should treat them with great respect for what they have done for us. We must somehow break this illusion that aging is wrong. A natural part of life is death and sooner or later we have to deal with it. I work in a nursing home and I often get asked "how do you do it". How can I stand to work with the old, the sick and the dying. I respond to these questions by explaining that someone has to take care of these people and that someday I might be in a situation similar to theirs and we all need to help each other. I explain to them that I want to make their last years, months or even days the best they can be. Some people I work with are not as compassionate as I am and treat their job like any other job. This frustrates me because this is when I see the disrespect and intolerence. Just because someone needs help does not make them less of a human being than you or I. Personally, I am going into a field to work with the elderly population so that I can do as much as I can to help the people of our aging population. Maybe someday we will be able to shed more light onto this sorry state we are in right now and start realizing that everyone is worthy and desrves to be treated with dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment